Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Super Fun

I can't believe the summer is over. It has flown by, so much faster than I had expected! I am so behind on posting photos and of course our camera is full of them. One of these cold days I'm going to sit down and put them on the computer. For now though, I've got some I took with my phone.

This summer has been full of "super fun" as Sapphie would call it. When she's in a good mood, she calls me "super mummy" or Kevin "super daddy." It's so funny and I'm not sure where she learned it. We've just come back from an amazing trip to Maine with the family, followed by a quick trip to Northampton for a wedding, then Teo's dedication last weekend. Isaac shot photos so I don't have any to share, but I'm sure he'll post some when he's gone through them. I'll be printing some out as well.

What has been my favorite part of summer? I'm not sure. There have been some big events for sure. I think my favorite has to be continuing to get to know Teo, who is now 7 months old, and watching him bond with Sapphie. I didn't realize how quickly and tightly they would bond. I have to admit I was pretty nervous about introducing a sibling into the picture, since Sapphie was such a strong personality. I was also given ample warnings about how she would probably not handle it well at all, would be jealous, etc. Contrary to my worries, she has been an absolutely amazing sister from the day she met Teo. She is ferociously protective of him, very concerned about what he is doing and what toys he should or shouldn't be playing with, and who is touching or holding him. She likes to yell at me that "he'll choke on that" if I give him something she considers to be "smaller than an apple", which is the rule I have tried to teach her about what toys he can and can't have. When she has a friend over who shows any interest in Teo, she runs over, pushes the friend away, and yells "my baby!!" She also talks to him quite sternly when he's crying or splashing her in the tub, or trying to do his "shark attack", which consists of a quick and strong yank of the hair on either side of the face, followed by a surprisingly strong and passionate bite on the chin which may or may not be accompanied by strong suckling.

The other day, in the car, Teo was being fussy and Sapphie was clearly not having it. She said:
"Teo, listen to me. I'm in charge. You see that sign over there? It says NO CRYING. You see? NO CRYING. You want me to take your nuk away? I will!"

So funny. I must admit I have threatened her on multiple occasions to take her nuk away when she isn't behaving in the car. It's really funny how she mimics everything we say. So far, she continues to show us what a firecraker she is, with her own (quite strong) opinions. On the other hand, she is so sweet sometimes it makes you melt. Teo becomes a bigger lover every day, although he appears to have rather a surprisingly hot temper when mama's tit is involved. Not only does he like to nurse all night, like his sister did, but he will not take his nuk when the nursing is done. He arches his back, screams blue murder like a little piglet and starts scratching at his face with desperation if I don't let him nurse again. He hovers around my chest with his eyes closed and his mouth wide open, like a baby bird. Then he gets back on with a wild wimpering sound (as if he's starving), then about 2 seconds later starts throwing his head back again, impatient because I'm not letting down. Sometimes in the wee hours, when he starts this behavior I just leave him with Kevin in the bed and go out to the pull-out. Cooper loves it when I do this because he gets to have a snuggle like old times.

As we did with Sapphie, we'll start some sleep training and negotiations once he's about a year and can understand what we want to do. For now though, I'll continue to be a zombie mom. I read the best quote the other day:

"The nights are long, but the years are short."

Made me cry. Okay here are the pictures from our Super Fun summer!!

Doing Teo's hair, which she loves to do. It's either mohawks or barrettes and headbands! He's very patient and let's her do anything she wants.


This is Sapphie skinny dipping up to Newport. Getting her redneck on.

Sapphie started preschool! Here she is on her first day. Liz, I swear I brushed her hair and it looked so pretty. Then she decided to remove the headband and put it around her waist. Oh well! So far she loves school, and has made lots of friends. Two boys asked me the other day if she could come over to their house. So cute!! And scary!! It's happening too fast.

This is from our Maine Vacation. Teo in the "command center", which was a very retro toy that our landlady brought over. We don't have anything like this at home and Teo's eyes popped out of his head with all the stimulation. He loved it though! He really looks like Kevin here.

Swimming!! Isaac took this shot.

Hanging with her best bud in the tent.

Morning snuggles and play in Sapphie's bed. She loves it when I put Teo in her bed, and he loves it too! He absolutely adores her, and she keeps herself so busy bossing him around. I love watching their relationship grow. XO

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...