Tuesday, December 4, 2012

En route to Madrid!!

Have I forgotten how to think clearly when there isn't complete chaos around? I'm so used to dealing with constant whining, tugging, and crying, that I think I have lost the ability to function on my own.  As a mother of two young children (and one child of a husband - just kidding - but not really), I have somehow, perhaps with the help of hormones, found a way to optimize my mental performance in almost any hectic situation.  But not so much in the peaceful moments, it seems.   

Starting right away in Burlington, in a totally quiet airport on a Monday afternoon, I could barely check in using the US Airways kiosk without the help of the attendant standing next to me.  Seriously.  I have a PhD, and common sense, I really do! But I almost paid $15 to check in early and would have if she hadn't explained that was an optional fee.  Then I couldn't get the machine to scan my passport and she gently took it from my hands and said "you have to swipe it up here." I was totally honest and told her I don't know what I would have done without her! What do the normal people do? Or the people that don't use computers regularly? Am I just really dumb and don't realize it? What will I do when I'm 65 and totally clueless? Oh God, I can see it now.  You know who I'll be? My Mother. 

On the way to Philly, I think "I can do this.  I can relax on my own.  Alone.  I'll take a nap." Nope, that didn't happen. So I drank my favorite chamomile with lavender tea, read People Magazine from front to back, then just stared out the window until we landed.  The mountains were peaking out through the clouds, and I wished that Sapphie and Kevin were with me to be amazed at the view.  I took a picture for them. 





Once I landed in Philly, I got so confused that I:

  • went to the currency exchange and forgot that Kevin gave me cash to switch over, so tried my Amex and the lady wouldn't take it.  
  • Then I forgot that there is an exchange rate so that if I ask for 100 Euro, it is going to cost me more than $100...so when she said the total was $169, and that she wouldn't take my Amex, I walked away.  Then after about ten minutes of walking, I decided I should turn around and get some Euro so I could pay for my cab in Madrid (no, I decided not to go with Hannah's hilarious suggestion to call the Ritz and ask where the car is that was supposed to pick me up, and please send one immediately at no charge!).
  • After the woman rang me through using my bank card, I opened my wallet and saw all the cash Kevin had given me.  She laughed and said "well, you can spend that when you get home!"
  • Then, I forgot that most of the food at the airport venders is, of course, to take away (yes, I asked the woman if the wraps are to-go!). 

Feeling pretty silly, I boarded the plane.  

Now I'm on the plane, on my way to Madrid.  I got in my seat, and quickly found out that my entire row of 4 seats is empty.  I eat my caprese wrap, then hear the flight attendant speaking Spanish.  This unexpected wave of comfort comes over me.  I can feel Mama Sonia sitting next to me.  I wonder if she's happy that I brought some of her jewelry with me for good luck: the Tiffany gold leaf earrings, and the Gumps beads that I know Papa Roger got for her.  I miss her so much.  I miss both of them so much. 

Next came the beverages.  I thought I should have some wine to help me sleep, so I order two "mini-bottles" of the Cabernet.  The flight attendant, who is very pleasant, is somewhat flirtatious and hands me two. I realize that they are bigger than I expected, so I just take one.  He says he loves my name.  I turn on an episode of Glee and sip my wine.  I forgot how much I love Glee.  Love it.  Of course those wine bottles only hold about 1 large glass, so after about 40 minutes I was ready for another. I catch his eye and go over to him, and tell him I think I need another one after all.  I said "it went down so smoothly...come over whenever you can, no hurry."  Within minutes he's handing me another one, and as I hand him my card he says "no, don't be silly." I wonder, would he have been so flirtatious and friendly if I had my little darlings with me? I'm not sure...but I certainly would not have noticed it if he was!

As I enjoyed my second glass of wine, I noticed that the person behind me is persistently and repeatedly pushing on the back of my seat.  What the heck could they be doing? I was considering giving a dirty look but I decided to wait it out, and turn on another episode of Glee.  We were in a fancy new plane.  I pushed the touch screen for "play" and nothing happened.  Pushed again, longer and harder.  I took five tries and by the end, I realized that's what the person behind me was doing! Whoever decided to install these touch screens didn't realize that it is extremely uncomfortable for the person sitting in the seat in front....if they had tested it out, they would have quickly decided a touch screen on the back of someone's head? Bad idea.  


Anyway, all in all it was a wonderful flight over.  Now I'm here!!! More soon.  xo

2 comments:

dj said...

Loving the blog and loving hearing about your first moments alone! Traveling by yourself is amazing, albeit disorienting (especially when we usually have two little (adorable) creatures with us). Enjoy finding your peace while you are away. Write more! xoxo

Unknown said...

You could do worse!! My Mum took 5 of us children who were all under 7 years old, to Malta on her own! She seemed to have her wits about her at eighty something! Now to prove that I'm not a robot!! Hm, that could prove tricky!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...