Friday, June 5, 2009

Beer League Softball - Team Fuse (by Kevin)

Summer has begun when the parks are filled with children playing in the afternoon warming sun and the cracks of baseball bats can be heard as it strikes the ball. The crack of the bat, the ball screaming into the outfield and a great catch followed by cheers are the echos in the dreams of playing for a major league ball team. If I had my pick it would be playing outfield for the Boston Red Sox.

This is my second season with Team Fuse in the Burlington Summer Softball League. We play from June into September and even October if you make the playoffs which we did last year. Fuse is a marketing firm in BTV owned by my friend Brett Smith. The team is comprised of Fuse employees, some people from Burton and a couple of other ringers.

Team Fuse will have to fill that dream of playing professional ball for a big league team because at the age of 32 and the general lack of skill to hit a 100 mph plus fast ball I will have to settle watching the highlights on ESPN Sportcenter dreaming that I made that catch or hit that home run. Additionally traveling around the country and having a multimillion dollar $$$$ contract would be dreadfully boring because I would be away from my friends and family.

Last night was our second game of the season. We had just came off of a crushing loss the week before and we were all determined to play better for game 2 of the 14 game season. We were playing Magic Hat Brewing Company which generally is a perennial power house. We tend to play extremely well against them.

We started the game strong and actually lead the game into the 6 inning. I was playing well in the outfield, fielding two deep balls and batting better then I had in the previous game. Things were looking up and up for me. Reason why I say that is because the pre-season I had a lot of cob webs to dust off and game 1 was miserable.

The 7th inning was one of those innings you do not forget in Beer League. Yes it is called beer league because you tend to have a beer or two while playing. I must make the following disclaimer that I tend not to partake in heavy drinking during the course of the game. I have a hard enough time hitting and fielding the ball I do not need to further handicap myself.

I was asked to move from my traditional righ center spot over to left field. Left field tends to be a hot bed of action because most power hitters are right handed and push the ball to left field.

I heard the crack of the bat and the ball sailing into left field. It was a tight roper up the third base line and I was playing more towards left center. I started my run towards the direction of the ball realizing that I can run this ball down and probably make a great catch. A difficult play for two reasons. I throw right and catch left and the sun was setting in the direction I was running in. I have a good track on the ball and then WHAM POW.


I am down and out and on my ass looking for the ball as the batter starts to round 2nd. I feel warm blood start to run down my face. Like a prize title fighter I get back to my feet and make the throw to third hoping to stop the runner from advancing anymore. I shake myself off and decide to finish the inning on the field before coming in to assess the damage.




A cold beer for the eye and one for the mind and soul I take the next inning off and I am back in the game. Jason Bay, left outfielder for the BoSox, would have made that catch with out a problem. On the other hand this wannabe gets a ball to the eye and a good black eye to show for my 2nd softball outing of the year. I was told by fellow team mates the ball hit my glove and deflected into my eye.

Why do we go out there and play? Feel sore the next day and sometimes get banged up. A simple answer for a simple question. We all still want to feel young again. We want to forget about the days troubles and for 2 hours a week feel like a kid again fantasizing about the big leagues and enjoying the time with our friends and enjoy the best of Vermont, the late afternoon Western Sun. It gives me a break from the job, the depressing news that we are flooded with, the economy, the newest threat to America, politics and general bull shit. Beer League is about fun, family, dogs, respect for each other as teammates and opponents and to realize at the end of the game there is no real winners or losers on the field regardless of the score. So if you want to have a good time come on out and bring a blanket, your favorite snack and drink and watch the "Boys and Girls of Summer".

2008 Fuse Team, pictured, at the end of the season last year. All back together for 2009 season.
PS: Final score Magic Hat 15 Fuse 10 Fuse 0-2.






2 comments:

Hanushka said...

Nice one Kev, you really "took it for the team"...

Christina and Brian said...

That's pretty funny, but are you going to have a shiner at Sapphie's dedication this weekend?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...