Tuesday, January 5, 2010

29 years at Sugarbush (by Kevin)

I had the chance recently to see my sister at 6 o'clock in the morning. That is a rarity in our family. Imagine seeing a brown bear rise from its den in the Spring Time after a long hibernation, only my sister. Okay got the picture in your head. If not let me help you out.


Grumpy Bear

Happy Bear

Kristen flew in from NYC for Christmas at Sugarbush, the first Christmas at Sugarbush by the Kouri Clan. I must say it went off wonderfully with a tree and all the trimmings, good job mom and dad you always impress. She was not to depart until the Tuesday after Christmas which allowed her quality Auntie time with Sapphire. Monday an unexpected snow storm blew threw the region and deposited 6 to 8 inches of freshies on the mountain. Kristen wanted to hit the mountain before her 12:55 pm flight back to the Big Apple. We opted for the Lincoln Limo aka First Tracks Cat Skiing at Sugarbush or check out the blog from last year called First Tracks to score some POW before she headed back.
Loading Up: "I hope this thing is making a stop at Dunkin Donuts"

Kristen went to bed super early Monday night because she said she was nervous for the First Tracks Tuesday morning. I was excited because I was going to be able to get 2 hours of skiing in before work and spend some time with Kristen. Tuesday morning rolled around we got ready to met up with the 12 other people that would be going out along with Win Smith, President and Owner of Sugarbush and John Egan, Sugarbush Ambassador and extreme skier.

I was a little skeptical we were going to find some POW Tuesday morning but we headed for some sheltered runs on the mountain and soon found what we had been looking for. The white fluffy stuff that sprays over your knees as your feet do a dance in the POW and your favorite songs plays through your head. Unconsciously you have a smile ear to ear as you make turns and once and awhile a yelp comes out of your mouth from nowhere.

Four runs top to bottom is the usual number you get in before they pull you off the mountain so Mountain OPS and Ski Patrol can do their morning sweep to get the mountain cleared for opening at 9 am. At the end of the last run Win Smith, president and owner, personally thanks everyone for coming out and wishes you a farewell. I was waiting at the bottom for Kristen and when she arrived Win went over and thanked Kristen. Kristen's response back was "my brother and I have been skiing here since we were little kids, this is where we learned to ski and the only place we ski." As she told Win, how long we had been skiing on these slopes it dawned upon me, I/we have been returning to this very same mountain year after year as if it was a winter migration. It was also fitting that our last run down for the morning was on our favorite trail growing up "Sleeper". I have great memories riding the Gate House lift as a family and taking runs down "Sleeper". There we were 32 and 28, respectively, skiing down the same trail we used to ski down as 3 and 4 years old screaming and playing like we were 3 and 4 year old again. Somethings do not change. My memories of Sugarbush are great this morning just added to those memories and I know that whatever happens in the future the Kouri's will always have history at Sugarbush and I hope to share those same experiences with Sapphire some day.
Sleeper 28 years later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great memories, Kev! You're such a good writer, keep it up! I have a question though: how is it that a 32 year-old and a 28 year-old used to be 3 and 4?? Shouldn't that be 3 and 7?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...