Thursday, March 19, 2009

Team Spirit

I've had comaraderie on the mind lately. Just now, I google image searched "team spirit". Look at the first picture that came up:

Isn't that cool? I really like it.
You know that commercial that shows one person doing something nice for another, and a passerby notices and then does something nice for someone they see? It's like a domino effect. I love that commercial. Today, for some reason, I thought a lot about this concept. As Sapphie and I walked downtown to meet Elisa, Zoe and Lauren for lunch at New Moon Cafe, I passed many people without smiling. I never smile at anyone anymore. I'm not sure why, but I honestly think it's laziness. Oh and sometimes I'm paranoid that the person will try to throw me in the bushes and kidnap my baby, but that's only when I'm really tired.
On our walk down, I saw a woman approaching on Main Street. She looked like she was carrying a particularly heavy load, and I thought to myself "I need to smile at this lady." I did, and at first she didn't notice but then we made eye contact, I gave her a big smile, and she smiled back. I noticed her step was a little lighter.
Then, on the walk home, I saw the coolest thing. Some boys from Rice High School were running after school. There were a bunch of them, running in a line down Prospect Street. Their coach was at an intersection, where they turn around to head back. He was yelling "great job!" to every runner, and slapping their hand as they turned around. Then, the runners slapped each others hands as they passed each other. They were yelling "run!" to their teammates. I got so exicted! I saw one of them walking and I wanted to say "why did you stop? Don't stop, you're doing great!" Then when one passed me and excused himself, I wanted to yell "Don't worry, great running! Keep it up!" But I didn't. I knew they'd think "look at that crazy lady walking her baby."
But maybe I should have cheered them on...why do I care if I look crazy? Why don't we cheer each other on more often? If we all showed one another a little more respect, admiration, and support, life would be so much more wonderful than it already is. Don't you think?

2 comments:

Hanushka said...

When I think of all the things that I've tried out just because there was someone in the background saying "you can do it", I realize that my life would be very bland indeed without the support and encouragement of others.

Penelope said...

I'd rather be friends with a crazy lady than a grumpy one, for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...