Friday, March 26, 2010

Dowwwwn Dog!

It's amazing to me how fast time flies these days. Would you believe I have been meaning to write about baby yoga since May of last year? Finally, I'm sitting down to tell you about it.
When Sapphie was 2 months old, I signed her up for baby yoga. Evolution is such an amazing yoga studio - I had discovered it when I got pregnant and I did prenatal yoga there right up until Sapphie was born. I was so excited that they not only offer baby yoga, but post-natal yoga for new moms where you can come early, have tea with other new moms, and you can even bring your baby with you during class! Those first few months were wonderful - to go and practice yoga with other new moms, with our tiny babies laying in front of our mats. Of course, I had plans to bring Sapphie to baby yoga.

When I signed up for the class, they informed me that it was full but that they would put me on a waiting list. I was so disappointed! Then, the day before the first class, they called to say that Susan, the studio director and the baby yoga teacher, had decided to let us all in! I was SO excited. Of course the first few months of baby yoga class mainly consisted of gentle massage, singing, and putting our little ones in yoga poses like tree, happy baby, half moon, and down dog. Whenever we would put them in poses, we would softly sing the name of the pose: dowwwwn dog, or haaaalf moooon.
Here are some pictures of baby yoga class when Sapphie was about 3 months old:

That's Susan with her back facing the camera, and to her left is Sapphie! To the right is the little yoga bear that would greet each baby as he or she arrived.


Align Center Sapphie loved to lay on her belly and look at all the other babies.

Now, over a year later, Sapphie still goes to yoga although she has graduated from the baby class and is now in "New Explorers". Hannah takes her every Monday while I'm at work, but in the next few months I'll be able to start taking her again. I can't wait!
Sapphie loves yoga class and really enjoys playing with the other kids. I didn't realize, however, that her yoga lessons would actually be sinking in yet. I figured that until she was at least 6, these classes would just be a feel-good thing for me and a fun chance for Sapphie to socialize. Guess what? I was wrong.
Sapphie is totally obsessed with downward facing dog she is doing it all the time, whenever she gets the chance. It is so cute! And, to make it even cuter, she yells out "dowwwwn dog!" every time she does it:

In the kitchen

A little morning stretch

She can't get enough!

She even does down dog on the dogs!

I'm so happy to see her developing a passion for yoga. It has done so much for me, and I hope that it will continue to enrich her life as she grows.
Namaste xoxoxo



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the cutest story!! And this is one of the poses that Lalla finds the most beneficial! Perhaps Sapphie can teach me some more poses when she comes for Easter...perhaps the tired bunny! x

grayboy said...

This is so cute! I wish we could go too, but it is only during the week :-( I can't believe how big Sapphie is. In a way she and Gray look alike in their toddler babyness- so cute! Aren't they getting so amazing! Sapphie doing yoga, Grayson is playing pretend in his toy kitchen- we should get together soon now that the weather is nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...