Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pure Livin'

Often, the simplest recipes with only a few fresh ingredients are sometimes so unbelievably good. Well tonight, I re-discovered a simple food that I've always loved, but had recently forgotten. Roasted Beets. If you want to experience the most rich and decadent flavor, and some "Pure Livin'", as my dad would say, follow this ridiculously easy recipe.
Ingredients:
4 large beets, washed, NOT PEELED, ends trimmed. I get mine from Lewis Creek Farm.
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

**note: the reason I don't peel them is because I'm lazy. However, in my laziness, I discovered that the peels actually caramelize during the roasting process, adding an amazing crunch!

Instructions:
preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While it's heating, cut the beets into large chunks (about 1*2", or whatever size you like). Put in a bowl and toss with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a cookie sheet and cook for 1 hour.

Prepare to be shocked at the flavor, and enjoy!! I find them perfect alone (and Sapphie does too). But, if you want to round it out and make a meal of it, throw it on top of some fresh spinach and sprinkle goat cheese on top. In case you need some inspiration, I stole this picture from the internet.


Yummy.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's do it this weekend with your pig!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...