Monday, November 24, 2008

Celebrating Family


The blessing of not only being able to tolerate the parents of your spouse, but to actually like them and enjoy spending time with them, is very rare indeed. I, however, am one of those few people who can say with the utmost sincerity that I love my In-Laws.
Kevin and I come from very different backgrounds, but there are a few similarities in the way we were brought up. For example, we both come from very tight-knit families, who love to spend time together, eat great food together, and just enjoy being with one another. Therefore, although Kevin’s parents have many qualities that make them loveable, one of the characteristics I especially admire is their love of family and celebrating loved ones. In addition to this, their generosity is beyond comprehension: not only financial, but emotional support is never-ending. No matter what they are going through, both of Kevin’s parents will drop everything and become a pillar of support when a family member is in need. Kevin and I have often been the recipients of this support, and we are constantly in awe of the ability of his parents to give and give and give.
Last weekend, Kevin’s parents (by the way, their names are Liz and Kevin), gave to me by putting on an amazing cocktail party to celebrate the completion of my PhD. Liz hired a caterer who offered the fanciest appetizers you can think of (such as mini beef wellingtons; grilled shrimp with key lime sauce…). She also designed floral arrangements that were breathtaking. Kevin (I call him Big Kevin) made sure that the bar was stocked with a full selection of beverages from which to choose (actually, this was Liz’s job, but Big Kevin likes to micro-manage).

Grandpa Kouri and big Kevin playing pool.

Having a rest, 8.5 months pregnant!

Liz had a little too much wine, and Kevin had to carry her to bed.

Of course, my Kevin took advantage of the situation and got some good paparazzi shots!

The guests included mostly family, as well as some very close friends. It was the perfect mix of people, and the entire night was perfect. As I sat back in a chair and watched everybody enjoy themselves, I realized that, although the party was to celebrate my accomplishments, the real celebration was, as usual, our family and loved ones. ¡Salud!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...